Follow @Teapottrail

Sunday 24 January 2016

Snowy trails

Today's trail was covered in snow.


A few weeks before Christmas, Randy and I went to a ski swap and bought ourselves a Christmas present: ski equipment. The first time I went skiing, shortly after Christmas, I spent the afternoon on my butt in the snow. It took me three-and-a-half hours to get down the short side of the bunny hill once and left me exhausted, frustrated and cold.
The second time I went skiing, about a week after that, I got down the short side of the bunny hill four times and took the rope tow four times. I only wiped out three times, but ended up with some lovely bruises and a sore shoulder from the rope tow.
The third time I went skiing, today, I went down the short side of the bunny hill twice, then we graduated to the long side of the bunny hill. Exciting! Randy says I made significant progress, although I feel like I fell a lot. But Randy says that's because I went down a steeper hill, I was trying to slalom, learning to slide down the hill, and how to stop with a snowplow--or pizza--as my younger colleagues were instructed. (The median age of new skiers on the bunny hill, myself excepted, was about five. The combined age of me and Randy is 102. Big difference.) I graduated to the T-bar, which was so much easier to handle.
I think we have to go again soon. Progress will be made from consistency and maybe a YouTube video.


No comments:

Post a Comment